Category: Stud Shepherd
Location: East Coast
Stud Shepherd - Turihaua Station Ltd
- Located in the Whangara district, 20 minutes north of Gisborne
- Opportunity for professional development in genetics & regenerative principles.
- For further information please visit https://bit.ly/3RYlJKq
As the Stud Shepherd, you will be working alongside the Stud Farm Manager to help meet the demand of this progressive stud and commercial farming operation. You will be involved in the implementation of the agreed stock management plan.
We are looking for a person with a minimum 2-3 years’ experience, as there will be a level of autonomy within the role including the responsibility of looking after the property when the Manager is away. The successful applicant will enjoy working with cattle and have an interest in genetics. Excellent stockmanship skills and a small team of 3-4 working dogs under good control is needed for this role along with strong attention to detail with animal health and welfare.
Turihaua Angus was purchased in 1897 by JN Williams and in 1906 he founded what is now the oldest Angus Stud in Australasia. The stud has been managed by 5 generations of the Williams family on the same property.
Turihaua Station Ltd is an East Coast Gisborne farming operation, 20 minutes north of Gisborne on the Pacific Highway. It is a medium to steep coastal property, currently wintering 8000su with an 80:20 cattle to sheep ratio (it is a commercial sheep flock). Their emphasis has always been on growing a fertile cow herd, which includes mating yearling heifers. Structural soundness and phenotype are of utmost importance.
In 2023 Turihaua Station won two categories in the East Coast regional Ballance Farm Environment Awards: Beef + Lamb New Zealand Livestock Farm Award, and the East Coast Farming for the Future Award. Sustainable farming practices is the key to the ongoing success of this family run business and careful consideration to animal welfare and land sustainability is built into the long-term vision.
Our client is looking for a proactive Stud Shepherd with a strong interest in biological and sustainable farming practices. The below are also key to success in this role:
- Excellent stockmanship skills, must be quiet and calm with the stock.
- 3 – 4 working dogs under good control, capable of mustering on steeper hill country.
- Exhibit a positive and motivated attitude.
- Be able to work independently and within a team.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Be a clear and open communicator.
- Have a general skill level with all farm machinery.
- Current full NZ Driver’s Licence.
- Opportunity to grow into the position overtime gaining more autonomy as you come to understand the business.
- There is community discussion group held every 2-3 months and it is encouraged that the Stud – Shepherd attends these for professional development.
- 3-bedroom weatherboard home, offering an open plan kitchen and dining area as well as garaging.
- Increase your knowledge and grow your passion around biological and sustainable farming practices.
- For further information or to APPLY please visit www.ruraldirections.co.nz/jobs
- For a confidential chat give the Rural Directions team a call on 06 871 0450
Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Only job seekers who have NZ working rights will be eligible for this role.
Date Posted: 2023-10-19