Category: Livestock Manager
Location: Hawke's Bay
Livestock Manager - Rissington Cattle Company
- Located in Rissington, 25 minutes west of Hastings and Napier
- Salary starting at $80k plus accommodation & benefits (reflective of experience)
- For further information please visit https://bit.ly/3S9Y6hZ
The Livestock Manager will lead the day-to-day management of the livestock business. Reporting to the Farm Operations Manager, this is a hands-on role where you will manage the feeding and reproductive performance of all stock, carry out farm maintenance and take full responsibility for the farm during the Farm Operations Manager’s absence. There are multiple stock classes, so a good understanding of pasture management is required as well as rotational grazing and animal health requirements.
For the right person, there is a real opportunity for continued growth within the business by way of further responsibility, contribution to stocking policies and farm development; new ideas would be welcomed. The owners support the development of their employees by encouraging attendance at local discussion groups, field days and on-going training.
Rissington Station was established in 1882 and is home to a proud family-owned and operated bull-breeding business. Livestock breeding is their passion and has been for five generations. Critical to their success over this time and going forward are the people that work in and around their business. Rissington were one of the first in the region to complete a farm environment plan in 2001 and have fully implemented the recommendations over the last two decades.
Farming nearly 2,000ha, they have a research facility to individually measure feed efficiency of their cattle with the aim to produce 350+ yearling bulls for their commercial beef industry partners, and 400+ Profit Maker® bulls for their dairy farming partners to support competitive beef production from their world class dairy herd. They continue to thoroughly test the bulls they produce, and in turn strive to deliver the most profitable beef cattle for their commercial farmers. They know more about their cattle quicker and can multiply the best genetics much faster while benchmarking their cattle internationally.
Our client is looking for a Livestock Manager with a keen interest in genetics and a willingness to understand and contribute to the farm policies. The below are also key to success in this role:
- High level of stockmanship and the ability to work calmly and patiently with the stock.
- Ability to feed stock and manage forage crops for lamb finishing.
- Excellent communication (written & verbal) and relationship building skills.
- Stud experience not required as there is an exceptional support network surrounding the role.
- Interest and ability in utilising technology and modern systems.
- Strong forward planning and time management skills.
- A team of 4 working dogs under good control.
- Accurate record keeping and reporting skills.
- If you are keen to learn from a progressive owner operator and further develop your farming career, we would love to hear from you.
- Hawke's Bay is a highly desirable location to live with multiple recreational activities close by such as wineries and beaches.
- Potential to progress to the Farm Operations Manager level within 1-2 years.
- A well situated 3-bedroom home that has been recently moved onto the property is available with this role.
- To apply for this role, please hit the APPLY button
- For further information on this role please visit https://bit.ly/3S9Y6hZ
- For a confidential chat give the Rural Directions team a call on 06 871 0450
Only job seekers who have NZ working rights will be eligible for this role.
Date Posted: 2023-11-06