Category: Farm Manager
Location: Hawke's Bay
Farm Manager - Hawke's Bay
- Located in Poukawa, Hawke’s Bay
- Remuneration package includes accommodation, work ute and other benefits
- For further information please visit https://bit.ly/3Q0FXk7
Working closely with the Livestock Business Manager (LBM), the Farm Manager is responsible and accountable for implementing plans and organising operations for the Poukawa Farm. This will include monitoring and reporting farm performance information and contributing to the wider Livestock team. A key component of this role is leading and developing people under your management and supporting others across the business to do the same.
Assisted by a Stock Manager (2IC), you will lead a team of 3-4 shepherds, with additional support from a shared general team (Farm Support Team). Your day-today will include stock rotations, pasture management, animal health and welfare, weighing and condition scoring, recording, and reporting, health and safety and general farm maintenance.
Brownrigg Agriculture is a large scale farming agribusiness situated in Hawke’s Bay, growing a range of natural farm produce of excellent provenance. Recently, changing the way they farm to offer more career progression to their valued team, the management structure has been reviewed and amalgamation of ten farms to five enables a greater level of on-farm leadership & responsibility.
With an overall farming footprint of 9000+ ha of freehold and leasehold land, the Poukawa Farm is a 2200ha mixed farming operation, with lamb and beef finishing combined with high value cash crops in the summer and lamb grazing through winter. Comprising a 1200ha grazing platform, the contour encompasses 400ha steeper hills, 500ha of easy rolling hills and the balance are flats.
The successful applicant will be driven and have the desire to continually progress themselves and the property. To succeed in this role, you will bring:
- Excellent understanding of the fundamentals of farming.
- Knowledge and passion for finishing lambs and bulls.
- Strong understanding of feed quality and supply/demand.
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to lead a team and a passion for developing staff.
- Interest and ability in utilising technology and modern systems for accurate record keeping and reporting; competence working in spreadsheets and experience with Farmax would be advantageous.
- Strong forward planning and time management skills.
- High level of stockmanship with a team of 2 - 5 working dogs.
- A full New Zealand Driver’s Licence.
- This is a rewarding position and provides learning opportunities for someone who has an understanding and passion for finishing lambs and bulls.
- Be part of a structured livestock leadership team, giving you regular exposure of running a farming business.
- Develop a strong understanding of feed management with a range of forages gaining valuable experience across the entire business.
- Brownrigg Agriculture has a strong culture of its own and in-itself is a thriving and busy community.
- Attractive remuneration package commensurate with experience and the importance of this role including accommodation, work Ute and other benefits.
- Accommodation is a newly purchased four-bedroom home with two living areas, warmed by heat pump and wood burner. It is a sound house in a stunning location.
- There is the option to live off-farm in a drive-in position if desired.
For further information on this role or to apply please visit www.ruraldirections.
co.nz/jobs or give the Rural Directions team a call on 06 871 0450 for a confidential chat.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Only job seekers who have NZ working rights will be eligible for this role.
Date Posted: 2023-11-13